The Kenai Peninsula Wolf
Kenai Peninsula wolves were the largest wolves in North America before humans
drove them to extinction. They were identified as subspecies Canis lupus alces in 1941 by senior biologist Edward Goldman
using only skeletal findings.
They inhabited the Kenai Peninsula and adjacent areas in Alaska.
The Kenai Peninsula wolf measured from 5 to 7 feet in length (nose to end of tail), 35 to 44 inches shoulder height, and weighed 150 to 200 pounds.
It fed largely on moose which is how its scientific name Canis lupus alces was derived. It would also feed on other large ungulates.
Wolves were plentiful on the Kenai Peninsula in the late 1890's. However, the gold rush brought prospectors to the area, and by 1915 wolves were almost completely
exterminated by means of predator control programs using poison, along with heavy hunting and trapping. It became extinct by 1925.